Camp Restore – Detroit will provide your team with opportunities to restore hope with the residents of Detroit.
Campers have found that joining our community in service is rewarding in many ways. We have a three-fold outreach: Human Care, Environmental, and Construction. Explore below to see what might best fit or interest your group, and feel free to contact us if you have any questions!
For I know the plans I have for you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
There are many opportunities to work with the community around Camp Restore Detroit. Relationship-building is vital to the success of any organization.
Past projects include:
- Working with children in tutoring programs
- Vacation Bible Schools in the 9th Precinct
- Sharing cards, visits, and singing at nursing homes.
- Joining an art class to build floats for a neighborhood parade.
- Soup kitchens, clothing and food pantries
- On the property where CRD is housed, there is a new playground. This playground needs hosts to open the gate for the community to enjoy the playscape and get to know the families who use the facilities.
- Camp Restore – Detroit is beginning our own art and tutoring programs for adult and children beginning late 2018. We pray these programs are up and running in 2019.
Driving through the northeast side of Detroit, one will discover many abandoned houses. These houses, unless they are boarded up, are a public health and safety hazard. Many of these abandoned houses have been torn down by the City of Detroit, leaving empty lots which have become overgrown, unsafe, and a dumping grounds for trash. Together with our community, we are tackling blight. Once a lot is cleaned up, block leaders are encouraging residents to mow and care for lots adjacent to their houses.
Another environmental service is helping with community gardens. We are beginning our own community garden and in 2019 we will need more help with its genesis. We are excited to give families their own garden areas and an opportunity for fresh vegetables! CRD is also creating a non-edible garden. The Spring Garden Haven will house an amphitheater, flower gardens, pathways, benches, and much more. CRD’s art outreach program will be making creations to go into the garden!
We’re partnering with local families to improve their homes and living situations. Residents can request help with home projects; however, CRD currently does not have the resources to provide materials for these projects. Donations are greatly needed for this ministry.
Past and potential projects include:
- Boarding up abandoned houses
- Home restoration work (as materials can be sourced, via donations, etc.)
- Assembly of community garden boxes
- CRD has purchased two houses that are nothing but a shell. These Oasis houses need to be renovated to house our outreach ministry programs.
- Churches in the area need the manpower to help with their projects, as well as other non-profit groups.
- We’re also improving the CRD facility, while we’re at it!
Want to learn more about volunteering in Detroit?
So much is happening that it becomes difficult to list every opportunity, and opportunities are always growing and changing, both in the 9th Precinct and onsite at CRD. See more of the action over at The Latest, or tour our camp and explore more in Accommodations. Or, if you’re ready to get started, Book Your Group below!