Camp Restore Detroit will provide your team with opportunities to restore hope with our community in Detroit.
Campers have found joining our community in service is rewarding in many ways. We have a three-fold outreach: Human Care, Environmental, and Construction. What makes Camp Restore Detroit special is our partnership with our community. We never want to go into our community thinking we have the answer, but instead partner with our community and build long-lasting relationships. Explore below to see what might best fit or interest your group, and feel free to contact us if you have any questions!
For I know the plans I have for you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
There are many opportunities to work with our community at Camp Restore Detroit! Relationships are key to our ministry and partnership with our community!
Past projects include:
- Working with children in tutoring programs
- Vacation Bible Schools in the 9th Precinct
- Sharing cards, visits, and singing at nursing homes
- Joining an art class to build floats for a neighborhood parade
- Soup kitchens, clothing and food pantries
- Camp Restore Detroit is beginning our own art and tutoring programs for adult and children
Driving through the east side of Detroit, one will discover many abandoned houses. These houses are a public health and safety hazard. Many have been torn down by the city of Detroit, leaving empty lots which are overgrown, unsafe, and become a dumping ground for trash. Together with our community, we are tackling blight. Once a lot is cleared, block leaders encourage residents to mow and care for lots adjacent to their houses.
Another environmental service is helping with community gardens. We are beginning our own community garden on Camp Restore Detroit’s campus. We are excited to give families their own garden areas and an opportunity for fresh vegetables! CRD is also creating a non-edible garden. The Spring Garden Haven will house an amphitheater, flower gardens, pathways, benches, and much more. CRD’s art outreach program will be making creations to go into the garden!
Camp Restore Detroit partners with local families to improve their homes and living situations. Community members fill out a Restoration Service Application to request assistance from Camp Restore Detroit. The work needed is assessed and paired with a compatible camper group. Community members are asked to provide the materials and help with the project as much as possible. Camp Restore Detroit does not have the funds to provide materials for these projects, and we always want to be in partnership with our community. Construction projects are a great way for campers to build relationships with community members and hear their stories.
Past and potential projects include:
- Boarding up abandoned houses
- Home restoration work (as materials can be sourced, via donations, etc.)
- Assembly of community garden boxes
- Restoring two outreach houses on CRD’s campus. These houses will be used for outreach programs to our community!
- Improving the CRD facility!